Frequently Asked Questions: MLT Students


Yes; however, you will still need to complete the Authorization for LTI Student Travel form and submit to prior to booking any travel arrangements. Your travel delegate will work with you to ensure that your travel is in accordance with CMU's Business and Travel Expense Policy. Failure to consult with your travel delegate may result in some travel expenses unable to be reimbursed.

Your travel delegate may be able to pay for your conference registration with a CMU purchasing card. The travel delegate is also able to book your flight with a university-approved travel agent. Hotels cannot be reserved by a travel delegate due to university policy.

Yes, with your advisor's approval, a standard-class rental car may be used for travel. Please work with your travel delegate to arrange a reservation.

Yes, each trip requires a completed Authorization for LTI Student Travel form, signed by your advisor. Your travel delegate will ensure that your trip complies with CMU's Business and Travel Expense Policy.

There are two ways to be properly reimbursed for the hotel room.

  1. If one student pays for the entire room, that student may be reimbursed for the full cost of the room. Your travel delegate will need to know the names of all individuals in the room. The cost can be split to the correct accounts for those students when the reimbursement is processed.
  2. Each student may pay the hotel directly for their portion of the room. Then, each student will be issued their own receipt and will be responsible for submitting that receipt for reimbursement.

Departmental funds can be requested to cover part of your travel (see Section 3 of the Authorization for LTI Student Travel form). Annually, you may request up to $750 if you are presenting a paper or research topic at an event, or $250 if you are only attending.

Reimbursements may only be issued with an appropriate receipt. If your name is not on the hotel receipt, you cannot be reimbursed for your expense. Please work with your travel delegate to ensure that you will be properly reimbursed.

Probably. Your travel delegate will need to know the name of the other student to be able to properly reimburse your meal expense. Please keep the itemized receipt as well as the credit card payment slip together.

Please complete the Authorization for Student Travel form. Forms are availalbe online and in GHC 5404.  Scan and email the completed form to You will receive a confirmation email, assigning your request to a travel delegate who will then assist you with your travel plans.

Yes; however, this is at your own expense. Generally, travel and hotel stays are allowable for up to one day before and after the official conference dates. The university has specific policies regarding reimbursement of business travel expenses. Please work with your travel delegate to ensure that you comply with CMU's Business and Travel Expense Policy. Your travel delegate will assist in preparing cost comparisons for your trip dates and the allowable travel dates. Failure to consult with your travel delegate may result in some travel expenses unable to be reimbursed.

Yes. LTI has many federally-sponsored awards that may require pre-approval from the federal agency, which is why it is imperative to work with a travel delegate to plan your trip. Additionally, when traveling on federal funds, United States air carriers must be used. The Fly America Act prohibits flying on foreign air carriers when US carriers are available. Please work with your travel delegate to ensure that your flights are in compliance with federal policy. CMU is unable to reimburse for incorrectly booked airfare.

Yes. If you drive your own vehicle, you will be reimbursed at the IRS Standard Mileage Rate. The rate covers fuel as well as wear and tear on your vehicle.

Keep them while you are traveling. When you return to LTI, place them in an expense envelope found in the LTI Travel section of GHC 5404. Submit the envelope to the Reimbursement Drop-off mailbox. You will receive confirmation email, assigning your reimbursement to a travel delegate for processing.


Yes. You may edit your application portfolio at any time before the application deadline. Once the deadline has passed, no amendments may be made, either by you or by admissions staff.

No, GRE Subject tests are not required.

Yes, there is a large winter break between the fall and spring semesters, but financially-supported students typically remain on campus for half the time. Winter break begins in early December and ends in January. For exact dates, please see the current Academic Calendar.

Some unfunded students may receive research appointments or TAships with various professors. However, this is in no way guaranteed and is highly dependent on the student’s research area, the project in question, and whether the faculty member has funding for a research assistant. Please assume that you will be funding your entire graduate education from your own funds.

Admission to the MLT program does not guarantee your admission to the PhD program, but it is an important positive factor.

Yes, but space is extremely limited. Graduate students are mostly responsible for finding their own accommodations. See the Housing website for more information.

Please see the HUB’s tuition and fees website for this information.

We do not provide individual explanations; it is impossible to provide feedback on individual students' portfolios due to the volume of applications we receive. Requess for information on how to improve your portfolio or about why you were not accepted will not be acknowledged. This FAQ is an attempt to explain the criteria by which we select applications. We hope it helps you to understand what happened.

For questions regarding immigration, visas, the ISI form, required financial documents, or other forms, please contact the OIE directly, either by e-mail, phone (412-268-5231), or see their FAQ page.

You may not. Each program has its own admission requirements. If you wish to transfer to another program, you will have to apply for it the following year.

Most admissions decisions will be made, and the admitted students notified, by mid-February.

We advise international students to arrive in late July in order to find housing, familiarize themselves with public transportation and the surrounding area, and to be in Pittsburgh for the OIE’s orientation and immigration check-in, which is usually about the second week of August. U.S. students should arrive no later than the first day of LTI orientation (usually the week before the semester begins).

You will receive your Andrew ID in late spring, when the fall information e-mail is sent out. This is usually around the first week of May.

The OIE will not respond to requests for updates on the status of a student’s I-20. These documents may take up to six weeks to get to you AFTER the OIE receives all your required materials. We recommend that you send your materials via insured mail so you know when your documents have been signed for and have a better idea of the timeframe you are facing.

If there is an issue with any of your materials, the OIE will contact you directly. If you do not hear from them, please assume that everything is progressing the way it should.

You may list either Kate Schaich or Stacey Young as your visa contact.

Students whose native language is not English and who have spent fewer than five years studying or working in the United States are required to submit their TOEFL scores.

No, you must have all parts of your application submitted in order for the admissions committee to consider it.


Any questions about the possibility of receiving credit for courses taken at another university should be directed to the LTI Chair of Graduate Programs, Bob Frederking.

Login to Student Information Online (SIO) at
Click the Registration button on the homepage or from the Course Schedule tab, choose REGISTRATION.

See the HUB's 4 Easy Steps for Registration.

All students must be registered for 54 units, unless otherwise approved.
24 units of classes (two 12-unit courses)
24 units of research (11-910)
6 units of LTI Colloquium (11-700 Section A)

Always discuss this with your advisor or Bob Frederking before you register for classes.

You have until the 10th day of classes to register. After the 10th day of classes, you are academically withdrawn. When this happens, your status is unable to be changed automatically; your graduate program coordinator will need to contact Enrollment Services to request to reinstate your status. This is an arduous process, so please remember to register before the deadline.

*International students - It is imperative that you register prior to the deadline. Not only will you academically withdrawn, the OIE is required by government regulations to report your status to immigration.

You may register for courses as soon as you receive your Andrew ID and set up your Andrew account. However, we do not recommend that new students register for courses until they have completed orientation.

Course information can be found in two places:
On the HUB website:
On the LTI website:


Yes, students are responsible for paying for health insurance, unless they are covered under another valid insurance policy. Students will be automatically charged for Standard Individual medical coverage and must enroll or waive each year. Details may be found here.

You may view your payment records and W-2 at the ADP iPay website. Registration instructions can be found here.

Detailed instructions can be found on CMU's Office of Research Integrity and Compliance. The education course is completed on the CITI website.

Print a copy of your completion certificate and place in Kelly Widmaier's mailbox in GHC 5404.

Take your passport to Stacey Young in GHC 5403. She will complete a form for on-campus employment, which you will need to take to the Office of International Education (OIE) on the 3rd floor of Warner Hall. The entire process can take anywhere from 7 to 30 days; since you cannot receive payment from CMU without a valid SSN, we encourage you begin the process after you've been in the United States for at least 10 days.

Full-time MLT students may receive an offer for an LTI Research Fellowship from their faculty advisor after the marriage process. Support may include coverage of some or all of your tuition. If your advisor plans to fund your tuition, the following will apply.


  • Tuition
  • Student Activities Fees
  • PAT Bus Pass Fees
  • Technology Fees


  • Health Insurance
  • Lab Fees
  • Library Fines
  • Parking Permit
  • Student Health Services Charges

If your tuition and fees are being covered through an LTI Research Fellowship, payments will be applied to your student account monthly as 'Payroll Deduction for Tuition' and 'Payroll Deduction for Fees.' Typically, if a student has paid their health insurance, the balance will be zero by June.

Yes, student stipend is subject to certain federal taxes, but it is not subject to any state taxes. It may be subject to local taxes, depending where you live. You may request a letter to this effect to include with your April tax filing. You may contact Alison Chiocchi to request a tax letter. Please note that the department is unable to provide any guidance on tax filings. You may direct your questions to Payroll Services or the Office of International Education (OIE).

Yes, student stipend is subject to certain federal taxes, but it is not subject to any state taxes. It may be subject to local taxes, depending where you live. You may request a letter to this effect to include with your April tax filing. You may contact Benjamin Cook to request a tax letter. Please note that the department is unable to provide any guidance on tax filings. You may direct your questions to Payroll Services or the Office of International Education (OIE).

Students receiving a monthly stipend will need to complete the following:

  • Complete the New Student Information form and submit it to your graduate program coordinator.
  • Obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) if you do not already have one. Bring your passport to Stacey Young in GHC 5403 to begin the application process. Students cannot receive money through CMU without a valid SSN.
  • Go to Payroll Services at 4516 Henry Street (UTDC) to complete an I-9, W-4 and direct deposit. Take identification and a voided personal check. Return a copy of your I-9 to your graduate program coordinator.

Students receiving funding through CMU will receive stipend payments on the 15th and last business day of each month. 

Students will receive stipend payments on the last business day of each month. 

Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) Education is mandatory for students receiving funding through sponsored research projects. Failure to comply may lead to loss of funding.

All employees who directly perform work on a federal contract or sub-contract that includes the FAR E-Verify clause must complete E-Verify. As a federal contractor, Carnegie Mellon is required to use E-Verify to verify the employment eligibility of all employees assigned to work on federal contracts containing the FAR E-Verify clause.

Yes, if you have a valid Social Security Number by the payroll deadline and are receiving funding through CMU. Students receiving funding through CMU will begin their appointments on August 16th. Students are paid semi-monthly, on the 15th and last day of every month.

No. Students who have received funding will begin their appointments on September 1st. Students are paid on the last day of every month.


Yes, there are two LTI b-boards: cmu.cs.lti.general and cmu.cs.lti.students.

To post to any b-board, type:

Visit Andrew Computing Services for more detail.

Step-by-step instructions about how to create a student webpage on SCS webservers can be found here. Any questions should be directed to the SCS Help Desk

The LTI moderates a student d-list used for official announcements: All current LTI students are included in the email distribution list. If you are posting to the student d-list, be considerate and do not spam.

The LTI also posts talks and events on homepage of the website.

Complete the LTI Student Departure form.
At the bottom of the form, there is a list of items you should complete before you leave.

Notify your graduate program coordinator of your departure.

Return your key(s) to Mary Jo Bensasi.

Carnegie Mellon University
Language Technologies Institute, GHC 5404
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

You will receive an email directly from the SCS Help Desk at the contact email that was provided on your SCS account application form with instructions about how to activate your account.

There are three common printers at LTI:

  • ghc5404bw, located in GHC 5404
  • ghc5404color, located in GHC 5404
  • ghc6604bw, located in GHC 6604

To add a network printer, select "The printer that I want isn't listed" then "Select a shared printer by name." You can then search using the printer names listed above.

Please note that only users with CS accounts will be able to use SCS network printers.

A black & white printer is located in GHC 5404. The copier code for students is 3111.

The color printer in GHC 5404 also serves as a fax machine. Select 'Fax' on the screen and enter the recipient fax number. For domestic transmittals, dial 9, then 1, then the area code and phone number. For international transmittals, dial 9, then 011, then the country code and phone number. Place your documents in the document feeder face-up and press start to send.

The LTI fax number is (412) 268-6298. Incoming faxes are printed on the color printer in GHC 5404. If the fax has been sitting on the machine for a while, it may either be placed in your student mailbox or on the countertop with other printouts.

Contact the SCS Help Desk:

Yes, there are shared student mailboxes in GHC 5404, sorted by the first letter of your last name. Packages are stored underneath the mailboxes. Be sure to check for mail often, as important department correspondence is delivered periodically.

MLT students will have access to shared student lounges and study areas to create a sense of community and provide space for working when on campus. These shared spaces are undergoing renovation in GHC. Rooms 5508 & 5516 may be used until renovation begins. Keys will be issued during the first two weeks after your arrival. You will be notified via email when you can pick up your key. This key will also give you access to common meetings spaces in LTI and the GHC conference rooms.

The LTI does not provide computers to students; however, your advisor may choose to provide a computer for you. You must discuss this directly with your advisor.