Please note: The final application deadline for all School of Computer Science graduate programs has been extended to Monday, December 12 at 3:00 p.m.
How To Apply
Carnegie Mellon's School of Computer Science has a centralized online application process. The application deadline for the fall 2023 application cycle is December 12, 2022 at 3:00 p.m. EST. Incomplete applications will not be considered. We've provided an overview for you below, but you can find more information on the School of Computer Science's master's admissions and doctoral admissions pages.
Final Application Deadline
December 12, 2022 at 3:00 p.m. EST
- The cost is $100 per program, $80 for applications received before November 29, 2022 at 3:00 p.m. EST (early deadline).
Fee waivers may be available in cases of financial hardship, or for participants in select "pipeline" programs. For more information, please refer to the School of Computer Science Fee Waiver page.
LTI PhD/MLT Graduate Application Support Program
This application support program aims to ensure that applicants to research graduate programs at LTI have someone to provide feedback on their application before submission. Historically, people from underrepresented backgrounds have lacked access to guidance from people familiar with the higher degree application process. In order to take steps towards an equitable application process, we invite applicants to the MLT and PhD programs to visit this page for application support through the School of Computer Science.
LTI is additionally holding an informal information and Q&A session for MLT and PhD applicants on Wednesday, Nov 9, 2022 from 11am – 12pm (Eastern Time - New York). Current faculty and students will be present to answer any questions about the upcoming applications. If you would like to attend please pre-register here, and a Zoom link will be shared with registered attendees shortly before the event.
The School of Computer Science requires the following for all Ph.D. applications.
- GREs are now optional, but if you want to submit GRE scores: These must be less than five years old. The GRE Subject Test is not required, but is recommended. Our Institution Code is 2074; Department Code is 0402.
- TOEFL scores: Required if English is not your native language. No exceptions. These scores may be more than two years old if you have pursued or are pursuing a bachelor's or graduate degree in the United States. (While the TOEFL is preferred, the IELTS test may also be submitted.) Successful applicants will have a minimum TOEFL score of 100. Our Institution Code is 4256; the Department Code is 78.
- Official transcripts from each university you have attended, regardless of whether you received your degree there.
- Current resume.
- Statement of Purpose.
- Three letters of recommendation.
In addition to the SCS guidelines, the LTI requires:
- A short (1-3 minute) video of yourself. Tell us about you and why you want to come to CMU. This is not a required part of the application process, but it's strongly suggested. Note: applicants to the MCDS program should not submit a video with their applications.
- Any outside funding you are receiving must be accompanied by an official award letter.
No incomplete applications will be eligible for consideration.