How to Apply
You may apply for admission to the LTI PhD program or MS programs, depending on your academic and professional goals. Admission to the PhD program does not require a previous MS degree; however, applicants to the PhD program will be automatically considered for admission into the MS programs if they are not admitted to the PhD program.
Applications and all supporting documentation for Fall admission to any of the LTI's graduate programs must be received by December 15th. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The CMU School of Computer Science has a single online application process. Please use the online SCS application and follow the instructions carefully.
Applications and all supporting documentation, including letters of recommendation, must be received by December 14. You may submit your application by November 30 to avoid higher application fees.
If you choose to submit by the earlier deadline, the application fee is $75 for one program and $50 for each additional program. Between 12:01 a.m. EST on November 30 and 11:59 p.m. EST on the day of the deadline, the application fee increases to $125 for one program and $75 for each additional program.
Submitting your application by the early deadline does not imply an early decision.
Application requirements are set by the School of Computer Science. Each program within may add its own special requirements.
The School of Computer Science requires:
- GRE scores
- Must be less than five years old.
- The GRE Subject Test is not required, but it is recommended.
- Institution Code: 2074; Department Code: 0402.
- TOEFL scores
- Required if English is not your native language. No exceptions.
- TOEFL scores may be more than two years old only if you have pursued or are pursuing a bachelor's or graduate degree in the United States.
- While the TOEFL is preferred, the IELTS test may also be submitted.
- Successful applicants will have a minimum TOEFL score of 100.
- Institution Code: 4256; Department Code: 78.
- Official transcripts from each university you have attended, regardless of whether you received your degree there.
- Current resume.
- Statement of Purpose.
- Three letters of recommendation.
For more details on these requirements, please see the SCS Prospective Student Information page.
In addition to the SCS guidelines, the Language Technologies Institute requires:
- A short (1-3 minute) video of yourself. Tell us about yourself and why you want to come to CMU. This is not a required part of the application process, but it is strongly suggested.
- Any outside funding you are receiving must be accompanied by an official award letter.
Please note that no incomplete applications will be eligible for consideration.
For more information on the LTI PhD program, please contact Stacey Young.
For more information on the MLT program, please contact Kate Schaich.
For more information on the MIIS program, please contact Alexandra Balobeshkina.
For more information on the MCDS program, please contact Jennifer Lucas.
For more information on the MSBIC program, please contact Amber Vivis.