How To Apply
The School of Computer Science has a centralized online application process for graduate admissions.
Full information can be found on the SCS online application portal.
Applications are due by 11:59 a.m. EST on Thursday, December 10.
- By 11:59 a.m. EST Thursday, November 19: $75 for one program, $50 each additional program.
- From 12:00 p.m. EST November 19 to 11:59 a.m. EST Thursday, Dec. 10: $125 for one program, $75 for each additional program.
The School of Computer Science requires the following for all Ph.D. applications:
- A GPA of 3.0 or higher (Students should report raw university GPA scores and NOT converted scores. Please DO NOT convert your international score to a US GPA or weighted GPA or other system).
- GRE scores: These must be less than five years old. The GRE Subject Test is not required, but a subject test in science, engineering, computer science, math, etc. is recommended. Our Institution Code is 2074; Department Code is 0402. (This requirement is waived for CMU undergrads.)
- TOEFL scores: If your native language is not English, then you must submit the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). All students will need to submit a TOEFL, no exceptions.
If you are currently working on or have received a bachelor's and/or a master's degree in the U.S. and your native language is not English, the TOEFL is still required. However, you may submit an expired test score up to 5 years old. If you have not completed a Bachelor’s degree in the US, you will need to submit a TOEFL no older than 2 years. We will NOT accept an expired score in this case, no exceptions.
Please send test scores via mail at the time of application. A successful applicant will normally have a total iBT score of at least 100. We prefer that you take the TOEFL, but we will accept the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). The same restrictions of expiration dates apply with an IELTS.
(While the TOEFL is preferred, the IELTS test may also be submitted.) Successful applicants will have a minimum TOEFL score of 100. Our Institution Code is 4256; the Department Code is 78.
- Official transcripts from each university you have attended, regardless of whether you received your degree there.
- Current resume.
- Statement of Purpose.
- Three letters of recommendation.
Please upload your GRE and TOEFL (if applicable) to your application no later than the final application deadline. Please send the scores via mail at the time of application.
For more details regarding application, please see the SCS Master's Admissions page. No incomplete applications will be eligible for consideration.