• When should I arrive in Pittsburgh?

    We generally advise international students to arrive in late July in order to find housing, familiarize themselves with public transportation and the surrounding area, and to be in Pittsburgh for the OIE's orientation and immigration check-ins.

    U.S. students should arrive no later than the first day of LTI Orientation (usually the week before the semester begins).

  • Who can I list as my visa contact?

    You may list Kate Schaich as your visa contact.

  • I have a question about my ISI form/visa interview/221g form/financial documents.

    For questions regarding immigration, visas, the ISI form, required financial documents, please contact the Office of International Education directly-- either by e-mail, phone (412-268-5231), or see their FAQ page.

  • Where is my I-20?

    The OIE will not respond to requests for updates on the status of a student's I-20. These documents can take up to eight weeks to get to you after the OIE receives all your required materials. We recommend that you send your documents via insured mail so you know when your documents have been signed for and have a better idea of the timeframe you are facing.

    If there is an issue with any of your materials, either your program coordinator or the OIE will contact you directly. If you do not hear from them, please assume that everything is progressing the way it should.

  • When will I get my Andrew ID?

    You will recieve your Andrew ID three to five business days after your student record is created (i.e., after you have accepted our offer of admission).

  • Does CMU offer graduate housing?

    Yes, but space is extremely limited. Typically, graduate students secure their own apartments off-campus. You can check the Housing Web site for more information. 

  • When can I register for courses?

    MLT students should not register for courses until after the address on this topic by Dr. Robert Frederking given at orientation.

  • I was waitlisted for a course! What should I do?

    Just wait. Most waitlists are cleared before the add/drop period every semester. Many courses are extremely popular (e.g., 10-601 Machine Learning) and you may not be able to take the course that semester. We recommend having a backup course planned just in case.

  • Do we have a semester break? When is it, and how long does it last?

    Yes. There is a large winter break between the fall and spring semesters. This begins in early December and ends in January. For exact dates, please see the current Academic Calendar.

  • I would like to transfer into another degree program. Can I do this?

    SCS policy dictates that a student must spend at least their first semester in the degree program into which they were admitted. Every program has different rules regarding transfer students; but you should expect to participate in an admisson process for any program you wish to transfer to.

  • I would like to create a student web page. How can I go about this?

    Step-by-step instructions about how to create a student webpage on the SCS web servers can be found here. Any questions should be directed to the SCS Help Desk.

  • Is there a larger student bulletin board or mailing list I can subscribe to?

    Yes. The LTI moderates a student distribution list for official announcements: lti-students@cs.cmu.edu. All current LTI students are automatically subscribed to this list. If you are posting to the D-list, please be considerate and do not spam.

  • I am graduating/leaving the program. Is there anything I need to do?

    Yes. You will need to complete the LTI Student Departure Form, notify your graduate program coordinator of your departure, and return any keys to Mary Jo Bensasi (GHC 5404).

    You will find a list of items you need to complete at the bottom of the departure form.

  • Where can I print things?

    There are three common printers at LTI:

    ghc5404bw, located in GHC 5404
    ghc5404color, located in GHC 5404
    ghc6604bw, located in GHC 6604

    To add a network printer, select "The printer that I want isn't listed," then "Select a shared printer by name." You can then search using the printer names above.

    Please note that only users with a CS Account will be able to use SCS networked printers.

    The copier code for students is 3111.

  • Help! I'm stuck in 1997 and need to use a fax machine!

    The color printer in GHC 5405 also serves as a fax machine. Select "fax" on the screen and then enter the recipient fax number. For domestic transmittals, dial 9, then 1, then the area code and phone number. For international transmittals, dial 9, then 011, then the country code and phone number. Place your documents in the document feeder face-up and press START to send.

    The LTI fax number is 412-268-6298. Incoming faxes are printed on the color printer in GHC 5404. If the fax has been sitting on the machine for awhile, it may either be placed in the recipient's mailbox or on the countertop with other printouts.

  • The printer isn't working! Help!

    Contact the SCS Help Desk at 412-268-4231.

  • Will I be able to receive mail at LTI?

    Yes. There are shared student mailboxes in GHC 5405, sorted by the first letter of your last name. Packages are stored underneath the mailboxes.

    Please be sure to pick up your packages in a timely manner, as space is limited.

  • Will I have my own office?

    No. Full-time students in LTI's masters' programs have access to shared student lounges and study areas. MLT students are also assigned communal space at 300 South Craig Street.

  • How many units should I register for per semester?

    You need to be registered for at least 36 units/semester to remain full-time (something that is especially important for international students).

    You have until the 10th day of classes to register. After that, you will be automatically withdrawn, and your graduate program coordinator will need to contact Enrollment Services to request your reinstatement. This is an arduous process and may jeopardize your immigration status, so please try to remember to register by the deadline.

  • Will I be automatically enrolled in required courses such as Directed Research and LTI Colloquium?

    No. You are responsible for registering for all your courses every semester.

  • May I undertake an internship during the summer?

    MLT students typically are not permitted to go on internship except under special circumstances. Note: "I want to" and "I was offered one" do not qualify as special circumstances. You will need permission from your research advisor and Dr. Frederking in order to embark on an internship.

  • May I graduate early in May?

    No. You must fulfill your second semester of research in order to get your degree. You may attend commencement in May; but you will be expected to remain on campus to complete your research requirement. The only exceptions to this are if you are on an accelerated program track or if you have some overwhelming extenuating circumstance (e.g., a pregnancy, the death of a close family member, an illness, etc.).